Lucius church

Lucius Church | © Stadtbildstelle Essen

The Lucius church lies to the north of the basilica of St. Ludgerus. Building work began on the Lucius church in 995 and it was consecrated in 1063. It acts as a branch church of the monastery in Werden and is regarded as one of the oldest parish churches to the north of the Alps.

Originally constructed as a simple hall, two low naves were added around 1100. Following secularisation, it was first used as a corn store and later as an apartment block. The choir and the highest storey of the tower were also pulled down. The reconstruction work began in 1957 and the Lucius church was re-consecrated in 1965.

address and contact

Lucius church

Luziusstraße
45239 Essen
+49 201 49 00 50

CORONAVIRUS IN ESSEN

Because of the current situation, we cannot always guarantee that everything will take place or is open, as stated here. Please also inform yourself at the respective institution or the organizer about the current special features.
More information about the coronavirus in Essen (only available in german)

Our website uses cookies. Our data protection policy regulates the details.